This recipe is a great, untraditional way of using delicious Irish apples. The fruit layer can be made using whatever fruit is in season – just amend the sugar content and spices depending on the fruit (tasting is key here!).
It can be as easy or as laborious as you like. Essentially, it is stewed seasonal fruit layered with coconut cream, crunchy granola and maple toasted pecans. For a truly decadent dessert, you can whip up homemade coconut cream, bake a batch of delicious granola and top it with the caramelised pecans. But for a quick and easy treat, switch the coconut cream for a tub of Coyo Vanilla Coconut Yoghurt and just pick up a packet of your favourite store-bought granola!
This recipe is vegan and can be gluten free if you make (or buy!) gluten-free granola! The Brown sugar can be replaced with Coconut Sugar or Sukrin for a lower sugar option!
Store bought or try Michelle’s recipe
600g Chopped Cooking Apples (4 – 6 apples)
100g Organic Brown Sugar, approximately
1 Tbsp Organic Maple Syrup
Maple Toasted Pecans
100g pecans, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
1 Tbsp Organic Maple syrup
1 Tbsp Organic Brown Sugar
Coconut Cream Layer
400g Tin Coconut Milk, chilled
40g Icing Sugar, sifted
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
1. If making homemade granola, do this first! If using store-bought, chill out for a while – no rush!
2. To stew the apples, place all of the ingredients into a medium sized pot over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer and allow to stew gently for 15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Next, make the coconut layer. Take the chilled can of coconut milk and scoop out the solidified cream layer from the top, leaving the water in the tin (reserve for using in a curry or smoothie!). Whip this up until smooth and fluffy before adding in the sifted icing sugar and vanilla. Whip until smooth and light. Set aside.
4. For the pecans, preheat the oven to 180’C. Heat the pecans in a dry pan over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until slightly toasted. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another minute. Transfer all of the ingredients to a small baking tray and bake for 5-6 minutes and then set aside to cool.
5. To assemble, simply layer up the stewed apples, coconut cream, granola and pecans … be as artistic as you wish!