As promised at our Nutritional Talk last week here are a couple of recipes from the nibbles table!
These really went down a treat, especially when everyone discovered that they were grain/gluten/dairy free and can be made vegan too and are also paleo friendly!
Chloé’s Grain Free Savoury Rosemary Biscuits
1 1/3 cup (320g) ground almonds
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tspn. dried rosemary
Pinch of fine sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
Note: for a vegan version, replace the egg by 1 “flax egg” (mix 1 tbsp. of water with 3 tbsp. of found flaxseed and wait at least 5 minutes until it thickens) and use only 1 up of ground almonds.
1. Preheat oven to 180oc.
2. Mix the ground almonds, dried rosemary and salt together in a bowl.
3. Add the oil and the egg or “flax egg” and mix well until a dough forms.
4. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin (place some parchment paper between the rolling pin and the dough, as it is quite sticky).
5. Cut into cookie shape with a cookie cutter or into squares with a knife.
6. Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, until slightly golden.
7. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Michelle’s Sundried Tomato & Sunflower Seed Hummus
Based on a Dale Pinnock recipe again this recipe is gluten and dairy free and as the hummus is made with sunflower seeds rather than chickpeas is paleo friendly too.
150g sunflower seeds (soaked for 24 hours)
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. tahini
3 tbsp. olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
6-8 sundried tomatoes (roughly chopped)
Pepper for seasoning
1. Strain and rinse the soaked sunflower seeds and put into a food processor.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until desired consistency is gotten.
3. Season with pepper.
4. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days, if you put a layer of olive oil on top it will store for longer – up to a week.
These two recipes work fantastic together and with their high protein content are a very satisfying snack.
Chloé’s Sweet Tahini Balls also appeared on the night and you can get the recipe here.